Saturday, December 6, 2008

New Zealand Gannet



Honours - A Grade
North Shore Photographic Society
25th February, 2009


About Gannets:
* Wingspan up to 180 cm
* Overall length 90 cm
* A single egg is laid around September/October/November
* Incubation time about 44 days
* Chicks stay in the colony until February/March
* The birds then migrate to Australia, returning after 2-6 years
* it is said that (after weeks of furious flapping of wings on land) the first flight of the juvenile birds takes them to their destination more than 2000 km away.

Make: Canon
Model: EOS 20D
Shutter Speed: 1/60 Sec
ISO: 100
Fnumber: 5.6
Focal Length 100mm

3 comments:

Bron said...

Oh no, I lied ... THIS is my favourite bird shot of yours. This is outstanding. I think what I like about your photography is that if you've never seen these nature things in real life before it's an opportunity to get up close to them anyway.

Linda said...

Wonderful color and clarity, Robyn. A superb picture. How close were you to this gorgeous bird?

Robyn said...

I was using a 100mm lens for this shot so pretty close. The bird was in a huge box as it had only just been rescued that morning. The owner of the bird rescue place grabbed the bird after this, opened it's mouth, then said - here - shove that fish down it's mouth. I I was shoving a fish about the size of my forearm, down it's beak and into it's gullet!!!

Photography brings me lots of experiences!!

Cheers
Robyn